We uplift people and economies around the world through entrepreneurship.
500 Global is a venture capital firm with more than USD2.7 billion in assets under management that invests in founders building fast-growing technology companies. We focus on markets where technology, innovation, and capital can unlock long-term value and drive economic growth.
We invest far and wide, across sectors and geographies, including 49 companies valued at USD1B+ and 150+ companies valued at more than USD100 million.
500 Globalâs Southeast Asia family of funds have backed over 270+ companies, including USD1B+ companies Grab, Bukalapak, Carousell, Carsome, and FinAccel. This is just the beginning â we are actively growing to serve more founders, as well as connect startups with capital, expertise, and global networks to help them succeed.
Read more about the backstory of the team, the culture and why we are hiring: https://sea.500.co/careers
About the Role
We have a new opening for an Associate Counsel (500 Southeast Asia) to join our Global Legal Team. This candidate will work alongside our 500 Southeast Asia team to support 500 Southeast Asiaâs legal matters, funds and investments in the region.
As the worldâs most active seed investor, we work at an insane pace so you will need to be a self-starter with excellent EQ, strong time management skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work under pressure in a fast paced and constantly changing environment.
You will work at the forefront of the most exciting global venture investing and technological innovations, and will be required to proactively assess legal risks and provide creative and pragmatic solutions. You should be willing and able to work on a wide variety of matters, have the ability to provide commercial and practical legal advice and education to the Southeast Asia team.
Reporting to our APAC Senior Counsel, youâll work closely with external counsels, regional Venture Partners and investment teams, and will have a rare opportunity to gain in-house venture capital legal experience in US funds, US / SEC regulatory matters, and early stage venture deals across the region with a particular focus in Southeast Asia.
- Candidates should be willing to work on a wide variety of matters supporting our Southeast Asian funds, entities and commercial activities, including:
- Funds – preparing and reviewing documents facilitating fund and investor closings, review of fund materials and newsletters, coordinating fund closing timelines and related filings
- Regulatory – preparing periodic fund and fund management related regulatory filings, providing strategic input to stakeholders on aspects of fund management (incl. marketing, structuring and hiring).
- Deals and Investments – (i) assisting with high level review of early-stage investment documents, managing deals processes, preparing documents for signature, addressing routing portfolio company requests (annual general meeting notices, stockholder consents and KYC requests); and (ii) providing substantive support in respect of later-stage investments, which includes term sheet and transaction document negotiation and drafting, coordinating due diligence and facilitating completion and post-completion deliverables.
- New product exploration – Support greenfield initiatives and exploratory projects by the 500 Southeast Asia team or its fund partners, including managed fund products, SPV deal structuring, and other ad hoc matters related to SEA funds and entities (including assessment of tax, regulatory and other structuring implications).
- Knowledge management and commercial matters – organising and tracking institutional funds and deals information, periodically auditing archives for accuracy and completeness, maintaining records and documents for group entities.
- Applicants authorized to work in Singapore or Malaysia are welcome to apply.
- 4 – 6 years of experience in a regional or international law firm practising funds, M&A or investment. Open to candidates from top tier law firms with lower PQEs. Also open to more experienced candidates who are looking for a more flexible, yet challenging, in-house role. Prior experience working with investment funds will be a significant advantage.
- Minimum Second Upper Law degree (LLB) from a reputable university (UK, Singapore, Malaysia or equivalent commonwealth jurisdiction).
- Strong proficiency in English with excellent verbal and written communication skills, particularly in explaining legal concepts and issues to the business and providing succinct, accurate and comprehensible legal advice.
- Action oriented and able to independently handle multiple, competing tasks, with strong delivery focus.
- Willingness to learn and take on new challenges
- A team player but proactive and able to independently move initiatives forward as and when needed.
- Strong stakeholder management skills; with the ability to communicate confidently, clearly and succinctly, coordinate multiple parties and manage competing interests.
- Thrives in a fast-paced, often chaotic environment.
- Passionate about early stage tech and venture capital.
Health Care Plan (Medical & Dental), Group Term Life, Wellness Allowance, Paid Time Off (Vacation, Sick & Public Holidays), Training & Development
500 Global does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other reason prohibited by law in provision of employment opportunities and benefits.
500 Global collects and processes personal data in accordance with applicable data protection laws. If you are a European Job Applicant see the privacy notice for further details. If you are a California Job Applicant see the privacy notice for further details.