Eater is in search of an ambitious, detail-oriented temporary Cities Manager to join our team while one of our managers is on maternity leave. The ideal candidate is a seasoned journalist and people manager who is enthusiastic about helping run a digital team that spans 26 cities. Working with our Cities Director, the manager will advise a group of editors working both locally and nationally on how to plan and track their editorial operationsâwhile sharing and enforcing best practices.
WHO WE ARE
Eater, the national food publication with outlets across North America and the UK, is at the forefront of reporting on the restaurant industry, shaping food culture with its award-winning journalism and programming, and telling people where to eat with its beloved maps and guides.
Eater is part of Vox Media, the leading modern media company. We guide our audience from discovery to obsession. We inspire essential conversations about whatâs now, whatâs next, and whatâs possible.
As a community of journalists and storytellers, business professionals, creators and technologists, we believe it is a moral and business imperative to amplify voices: to cultivate diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout our organization and media. This applies to our candidates, our teams, our storytelling, our creative work, and our platforms, products, and partnerships.
WHAT YOUâLL DO
- Manage, mentor, and motivate a group of city editors in a variety of geographical locations, helping them develop an editorial vision for their site, connecting them with resources, and offering other operational support. Youâll handle personnel matters, performance management, and other duties related to your direct reports.
- Assist with hiring and onboarding for new members of your team
- Aid Cities Director in communication efforts, editorial calendar creation, resource delegation, accountability measures, documentation, and developing strategic initiatives
- Edit journalistic work including high-touch features, sensitive stories, maps, packages, columns, and headlines
- Train other editors to produce quality reporting and service-oriented journalism
- Be a partner to Eaterâs engagement team and help lead and communicate engagement efforts for Eaterâs city sites
- Coordinate across other teams in the company such as legal, benefits, and people & culture
WHO YOU ARE
- A passion for journalism and a drive to help editors tell meaningful stories in their cities
- A diverse background in reporting, writing, and editing, with expertise that you can pass onto others in how to cultivate a beat, develop sources, and produce engaging headlines
- A keen attention to detail and experience with copy editing
- Interest in analytics and familiarity with social media tools
- Experience in managing a team (experience in managing remote workers a plus)
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- A proven track record for motivating individuals, time management, and the ability to delegate and prioritize effectively
- A strong grasp of/ability to adapt to Eaterâs voice and style
- The ability to thrive on change, take risks, and live up to Vox Mediaâs values
- The flexibility to work with city editors across multiple locations and time zones
If you think you have what it takes, but don’t meet every single point in our job posting, please apply with a cover letter to let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to the Vox Media team or get in touch! We would love to have a chat and see if you could be a great addition to our team. Weâve hired chefs who became editors, DJs who became UX designers, and sommeliers who became writers.
WHERE YOUâLL WORK
This job is remote. Weâre dedicated to the health and wellbeing of all of our employees, and when we reopen, will require everyone who works from one of our offices to be fully-vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees with approved religious or medical exemptions may be subject to additional safety requirements, such as submitting to regular COVID-19 testing and/or wearing a face covering in our offices.
WHY VOX MEDIA?
WHAT WE OFFER
This is a temporary, full-time position. This job is benefits-eligible. We pride ourselves in providing comprehensive benefits to support all of our employees wherever they are in life. You can find more information about our benefits here.
OUR DEI+ COMMITMENT
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment where everyone can show up as their authentic selves and create their best work. We recognize that great stories, platforms, products and services come from people with all manner of backgrounds and experiences. We recognize that our commitments require ongoing work and sustained attention, as well as adaptation to new insights and best practices. We keep our diversity data public for the sake of accountability, transparency and communication. Learn more about our values here, and our approach to corporate citizenship here.
Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law. Vox Media will also consider all qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable Fair Chance laws. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations as part of the application process to candidates with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation as part of the application process, please contact our People & Culture team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
WHAT COMES NEXT
Our recruiting team will go through applications in a timely manner. Please note that our recruiting team will only contact you from @voxmedia.com email addresses, never via text message. Read more about how our recruiting team operates, and how to protect yourself from recruitment fraud, here.