Are you a cloud computing, infrastructure-as-code, and automation enthusiast? Do you want to work with an increasing portfolio of cloud technologies, and knowledgeable engineers as part of a growing organisation?
As part of the Platform Engineering group, our mission is to build and maintain a reliable, performant, secure infrastructure. Collaborating with the wider engineering team to deliver award-winning accounting software for small businesses.
We’re looking for an engineer with a passion for helping and collaborating with people, and building innovative solutions to do so. Your typical week will involve:
Collaborating with our engineering teams, helping to build secure, high-performing, resilient and efficient solutions.
Develop, maintain and document a library of re-usable Terraform modules for use by the wider engineering team
Work with your team to run experiments and ship prototypes to learn how we can improve our platform and maintain our high performance engineering team
Define, iterate on, and improve best practices and help teams utilise them
Continually expand your knowledge of both our business and technology domain. We have the resources and we give you the time to learn!
Develop and apply your mentoring and leadership skills
Celebrating your team’s achievements!
In this role you will largely be working with: AWS (many services), Terraform, Terragrunt, Atlantis, Packer, Ruby, Rails, GitHub Actions, Docker, Linux.
Apps we use: GitHub, G Suite, Notion, Humio, Harness…
We ideally look out for the below, though you do not have to meet all of these, FreeAgent is a great place to gain experience:
- Experience building and supporting production services in AWS
- Infrastructure as Code experience. We don’t configure by hand, instead we use Terraform, Terragrunt and Atlantis to make our infrastructure repeatable, versionable and auditable
- Production problem solving and performance optimisation in a cloud environment. We accept that nothing can be perfect and value the time spent digging deep to really try and understand issues
- Pragmatism; being committed to getting things done while understanding tradeoffs
- A high level of self-motivation and self-awareness
- Strong communication and organisation skills
- Security awareness – you understand the importance of security best practices and know how to assess risks and implement mitigations