The HubSpot Product team is made up of over 1,000 engineers, designers, product managers, and researchers. We’re passionate about building tools that help small and medium-sized businesses market, sell, and serve their customers — and ultimately, grow better.
The product team is supported by many Infrastructure teams including the Data Infrastructure group. The Data Infrastructure group provides datastores as a service for HubSpot Engineering. This involves building and maintaining the automation that manages data storage technologies, making it simple for development teams to leverage existing datastores, and working to ensure HubSpot can meet the demands of a business that is scaling rapidly. Data Infrastructure teams work with a variety of open source technologies such as MySQL, Vitess, Hadoop, HBase, Kafka, Spark, Memcached, and Elasticsearch all running on AWS and Kubernetes.
The HubSpot product has more than half a million weekly active users who all generate massive traffic to and from our datastores. On a normal day, we expect reads into our HBase clusters to exceed 45 million requests/sec. For MySql, we expect more than 600K queries/sec. Elasticsearch indexes over 200K doc/sec and handles more than 50K searches/sec. Finally, HubSpot uses Kafka to process more than 100 billion messages a day. Due to the extreme scale at which we operate, we often uncover bugs and errors in the open source tools we use and as such we are active members of the open source community. Many members of our teams are frequent contributors to the Open Source projects that they work on.
The mission of the HBase team is to provide HBase databases as a service to the rest of the engineering organization. This includes building tools to make it as easy as possible for product teams to create and make use of databases. Additionally you’ll build automation to ensure those databases are available, reliable, and fast. HBase powers some of the most important systems of our product and as a member of the HBase you will play a pivotal role in ensuring our product is reliable and fast.
We’re looking for experienced engineers who are excited by the challenges that come from working at scale and are passionate about improving the reliability and uptime of the product they own. We favor forward thinking engineering leaders who can identify and remediate problems before they happen, and understand how to build platforms that are intuitive to use, highly performant, and extremely reliable.
As an engineering leader at HubSpot, you’ll do many things — many of which you likely already have experience executing. For this position, we are looking for:
- A bias for fixing problems with technology rather than process.
- Passion for building reliable systems.
- Experience developing automation or being a power user of one or more of the above-mentioned data storage technologies.
- Someone who never accepts the status quo; we need engineers who can see beyond what we have, and towards what we can build, while maintaining an understanding about how to get there.
- Proven ability to solve complicated technical problems and analyze tradeoffs with empathy for the developers.
- Ability to demonstrate pragmatic decision making and problem-solving abilities.
At HubSpot, engineering leaders play to their strengths, but are aligned with HubSpot’s mission and show the leadership qualities that we’ve found to be most effective:
- They build trust, respect, and empathy, and use that as a base to deliver radical candor.
- They foster an inclusive team and sense of mission.
- They have strong working relationships across the organization, from the tech leads and the individual contributors who report to them, to the product managers and designers their reports work with, to their peers & the executive team.
- They understand our customer and business needs.
- They understand how we build and why.
- They represent our mission, culture, and commitment to DI&B to candidates.
- They get team members and candidates excited to take on new challenges.
If you’re an engineering leader of any level or experience, and if this resonates with you, let’s talk.