Headquarters: Redwood City, California
Equinix is the world’s digital infrastructure company, operating 210 data centers across the globe and providing interconnections to all the key clouds and networks. Businesses need one place to simplify and bring together fragmented, complex infrastructure that spans private and public cloud environments. With Equinix Metal, customers can rapidly deploy automated single-tenant infrastructure and interact with 1,800+ networks and 2,900+ cloud and service providers. Our global platform allows customers to place infrastructure wherever they need it and connect it to everything they need to succeed.
At Equinix, we help the world’s digital leaders scale with agility, speed the launch of digital services, deliver world-class experiences, and transform people’s lives. Our culture is based on collaboration and the growth and development of our teams.
We hire hardworking people who thrive on solving challenging problems and give them opportunities to hone new skills, and try new approaches, as we grow our product portfolio with new software and network architecture solutions. We embrace diversity in thought and contribution and are committed to providing an equitable work environment that is foundational to our core values as a company and is vital to our success.
This role can be remote or based in one of our office locations.
In this position, you will be an individual contributor of a small, focused team building and testing images for customers, ensuring processes are automated and repeatable, and introducing new hardware to the fleet safely and efficiently (read as automatedly as possible). You should have a passion for solving hard problems and a deep understanding of operating systems and debugging problems all the way down to the interaction with firmware and hardware. You’ll also:
- Live and breath the developer experience with the platform we are responsible for caring and feeding for – our customers are Equinix Metal engineers, and they deserve the best
- Deal with ambiguity and drive to the heart of problems – when developing / managing an internal platform, sometimes you participate in the “what” just as much as the “how”
- Seek out weaknesses, identify problems and solutions, approach every day with a self-starter attitude and a focus on resolving problems while not getting bogged down in a changing landscape
- Validate new hardware configurations, firmware configurations / versions, and overall creating a healthy intersection of known-good configurations while tailoring our automation, processes, etc., to take full advantage of our available platforms and tools
- Collaboratively write RFC’s / blueprints that establish our go-forward patterns, architecture, or that otherwise create a picture of where we want to go
- Help drive software design and improve our system architecture, making sure components are built in a way that is conducive for rapid development and deployment onto our platform
- Work with external vendors, internal stakeholders, to help align on the best procurement and logistics around our hardware lifecycle
- Participate in on call rotation to support this product team’s software in production
- Deeply care about technology, your craft and about the success of your teammates and the company. Have strong intrinsic motivators to help drive self-improvement
- Ability to communicate clearly with all stakeholders
- Team player, ability to work with a team to deliver complex software
- Minimum of 4-6 years experience
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science or Computer Engineering is a nice to have, but not required
- Experience with Linux, with experience troubleshooting both hardware and kernel issues
- Ability to debug issues with hardware and firmware / root cause analysis (or strong desire to learn)
- Proficiency with at least one programming language; preference given to candidates with Golang experience
- Experience with the git workflow
- Ideal candidates have some modern CI experience
- Ideal candidates have some experience with data center technologies or have worked with bare metal servers before.
- A desire to learn!
- Knowledge of operating systems a plus: Ubuntu, Debian, RHEL, CentOS, Rocky Linux, AlmaLinux, Windows, VMware, Talos, NixOS, Flatcar, etc.
- Previous exposure to end to end bare metal provisioning lifecycle, and associated technologies used in the ecosystem, e.g. QEMU/KVM, PXE, grub, etc.
- Knowledge of VMWare ESXi and Windows
- Awareness and desire to learn about data center networking related to bare metal provisioning; DHCP, BGP, etc.
- Previous exposure to a containerized environment with Docker and Kubernetes