Headquarters: Baltimore, Maryland
Fearless is looking for an Engineering Technical Lead to add to our diverse team of 250+ employees (and counting!).
What you’ll be doing
We’re looking to change the world by building software with a soul, and we want your help.
The Engineering Technical Leader coordinates the technical aspects of all the development, architectural, operational, security, and testing activities for a team. They are responsible for bridging the product’s broader goals with technical implementation. The Engineering Technical Leader also defines, implements, and inspires adherence to the technical direction, processes, and standards for the team.
We need your Engineering Leadership skills! What other skills will help you succeed at Fearless? Glad you asked! We’re excited about candidates who can accomplish the following:
Responsibilities and Contributions
Organizational and Leadership Role
- Mentors Engineers in building software development, infrastructure, data, and testing skills.
- Reviews other Engineers’ work and code for effectiveness and alignment to team technical standards.
- Grows the technical understanding of the stakeholders in and around the team.
- Grows community, eminence, and/or strategy of practice area.
- Sets the team’s technical direction.
- Takes initiative for their own growth through personal leadership.
- Sets the direction for development, operations, testing, security, and maintenance of software solutions.
- Defines implementation strategy that creates robust, scalable, well-designed software built for long-term maintainability.
- Designs technology solutions from a deep understanding and analysis of the business needs.
- Leads the team in making decisions about technology and infrastructure.
- Navigates the regulatory landscape and create solutions and plans that address key risks and controls.
- Collaborates with Designers, Product Managers, and Engineers to plan and build new features efficiently that align with the product vision.
- Aligns team members, customers, and external stakeholders on technical information, plans, and roadmaps.
- Builds strategic relationships with peers, leaders, customers, users, and stakeholders.
- Orchestrates all phases of the development lifecycle from task creation to production deployment of new code.
- Defines and inspires adherence to code and process standards.
- Supports the Agile process and helps customers understand Agile.
Essential Skills, Experience, or Competencies
- Deeply experienced in at least one engineering domain (software, site reliability, data, testing, etc) with a foundational knowledge in the others.
- Understanding of application architecture, system architecture, and enterprise integration patterns.
- Experience leading teams of Software Engineers, Site Reliability Engineers, Test Engineers and Data Engineers.
- Experience with the entire development process from conception to production operations.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in creating harmony among all elements of software creation.
- Ability to discuss abstract software development concepts like single-responsibility, cohesion, data immutability, and other paradigm appropriate design patterns.
- Deep understanding of DevOps principles and experience integrating them into team processes.
- Ability to inspire Engineers and build cohesion on a team.
- Ability to understand and respond to customer needs and collaborate as part of a cross-functional team.
- Proficient in at least one programming language like Node.js, Python, Go, Java 8+, Ruby, Bash.
- Proficient with building applications in containerized development environments.
- Ability to operate and manage work, strategically reason, and build relationships and influence others.
- BS/MS/MEng in Computer Science, Information Systems, Information Technology, Mathematics, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or similar technology-related degree.
- Experience with design-thinking and human-centered design.
- Understanding of Enterprise Integration Patterns.
- Experience working with government or large industry clients.
- Holds a current AWS Certified Developer Associate, Solutions Architecture Associate, or Solutions Architect Professional or similar certification in another cloud platform.
- Holds a current CISSP, Security+, or other information security certification.
- Holds a current Certified Scrum Master certification.
What else you should know?:
Our people make us who we are. We believe that every member of the Fearless team has something to share, and we value the unique viewpoint you’ll bring to our community. But we value your community, too, so we offer fulfilling work that stays in balance with the rest of life. Because everyone has different needs, desires, and goals, our benefits offer the choices and flexibility that our team members need to live well and succeed. Here are a few highlights of our benefits package:
- Flexible schedule
- Family-friendly workplace
- 14 days of PTO allowance (not accrued so you get it up front!) PTO + 8.75 days sick leave + 11 federal holidays + your birthday off!
- 100% coverage of the employee-only premium for HSA, HMO, or PPO plan and Employee Wellness Plan
- Tech, education/training, and snack allowances
- Free parking in downtown Baltimore / public transit coverage
- Safe Harbor 401(k) plan with employer contributions and immediate vesting
Our Compensation System is designed to reward remarkable work, grow your impact and support the whole “you” over the course of your career.
We believe in paying people fairly, so we’ve established a compensation model aimed to ensure everyone at Fearless — regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, disability, religion, age, nationality, or negotiation skills — is given equal pay for equal work.
Our approach to compensation is intended to ensure our total package serves all of your needs and includes base pay, medical and other benefits, performance rewards, 401k matching, plus a few perks (tech and wellness reimbursement programs)!
Our salary ranges are determined based on role, level and location and provide team members salary growth within a salary grade over time. Team members automatically progress within a salary range through annual increases (given to reward service at Fearless) or merit increases (given to reward and individual’s demonstrated performance and growth within the position). Fearless team members are also eligible for discretionary bonuses based on company performance.
So, what’s next?
So, what’s next?
Over the years, we’ve honed a 3-step interview process that helps ensure that every employee we hire is the right fit for us and that we’re the right fit for them. If we think you’re a good fit, we’ll get in touch and start scheduling your interviews!
- Culture Add Interview – We’re a people-first company, so we always start off by getting to know more about you, how you work, what your career goals are, and what you’re passionate about. This is your opportunity to ask questions and get a feel for Fearless, so don’t be shy!
- Technical Interview – This is where we get into the nitty-gritty of the project. During the Technical Interview, you’ll be interviewed by fellow technical team members and/or the team’s Project Lead to make sure your skills align with the project requirements.
- Business Interview – At this point, you’ve made it to the final frontier! The Business Interview is when you’ll meet with Fearless leadership to dot the i’s, cross the t’s, and determine whether or not we’ll be moving forward with the hiring process.
To apply: https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/fearless-technical-lead