Weâre the banking app that believes in small businesses.
Our company is looking for a Financial Crimes Specialist, AML to join our growing team as we enter a new phase of expansion ð We are a Toronto, New York, Portland, and San Francisco-based startup at the heart of the FinTech movement that is shaping the way financial services are delivered. We are backed by some of the best VCs in the world (Battery, Redpoint, Tom Williams and more) and are growing fast.
Our companyâs purpose is to eliminate the pain that small business owners face through financial management and banking. Poor financial literacy has an outsized impact on the costs and failure rates amongst small businesses, especially among the marginalized and less fortunate, and we are on a mission to solve these problems. We are more than a banking platform â we are the world-class Finance Department that most small businesses could never afford.
NorthOne is a mobile, tech-powered account built for startups, freelancers, and small/medium-sized businesses (SMBs). Weâre rebuilding business banking from the ground up. Imagine you could start with a clean slate and think of a different way to deliver banking to small businesses. What would you change? How can you help them? These are the decisions that we make every day.
We â¤ï¸ compliance. As a Financial Crimes Specialist, AML, you’ll join our Fraud Monitoring team during an exciting period of NorthOneâs history, and help support us in our scale and product growth. Reporting to our Head of Compliance, youâll benefit from our experienced management team, who have already created and exited startups and come from leadership roles at brands like Square, McKinsey, Google, Frank and Oak, Strava, Instacart, Prodigy, eBay and more.
Weâre building a product that solves real pain vs the imagined kind. Small businesses are the bedrock of every community and of the American economy. Their storytelling potential is endless, they have been underserved by banking and fintech for far too long, and youâll be their champion. Ready to start?
WHAT YOUâLL BE DOING
- Conducting account reviews/investigations and managing the day-to-day operational processes across various fraud/AML workflows
- Collaborating with external partners to support NorthOneâs Compliance program
- Acting as an owner of workflow processes – weâre always looking to make things better, and weâre scaling fast!
- Be a risk manager by using your on-the-ground knowledge to identify and highlight emerging areas of risk
Today you might be a Risk Analyst, Fraud Investigator, Fraud Analyst, AML Specialist, or the equivalent in your company…or something that we havenât heard of yet – we keep an open mind. The most important characteristic of our Financial Crimes Specialist. AML is your attitude. We want you to join because you don’t see roadblocks, you see opportunities to be at your best.
The skills required for this role
- 1-3 years of experience working in fin-tech or banking compliance operations (KYC/KYB, AML, beneficial ownership, sanctions/PEP, transaction monitoring)
- You understand the AML Compliance requirements affecting fin-tech companies
- You have an eye for detail when youâre conducting reviews quickly and accurately
- You get giddy and proactive when it comes to program and process improvements
- You have a keen attention to detail, and like digging into the weeds to find the source of a problem
- You thrive in a fast-paced, geographically-distributed environment
- Youâre familiar with business intelligence tools (Looker, Tableau, Periscope, Redash, Mode, etc)
- You have experience working closely with product teams and have supported a product roadmap to identify and implement product controls
- You know your way around a fraud review and understand how AML and fraud intersect/diverge
- Youâve worked in a scaling startup and have successfully navigated rapid growth (you are a fighter!)
If you are this close to what weâve described but arenât sure, apply. Letâs figure out together if this is where you could shine.
Our mission is big and audacious, but we’re assembling a team to take the challenge head on.
As a Financial Crimes Specialist, AML, you’ll be joining a team that prioritizes:
- People: Our company is more than just a business. Weâre a band of brothers and sisters supporting each other on our mission to rebuild business banking. Weâre really serious about mission, fit, and the people we work with. Youâll be part of a rapidly scaling team that reflects these values and keeps this place special.
- Diversity: You’ll find yourself in an environment that values diversity and inclusivity. We believe that a broad array of lived experiences and backgrounds are essential for creating the best possible product and company culture.
- Leadership: Youâre right in the thick of it, making critical decisions that will clear our path forward.
- Top-tier health/dental benefits: We care about the people we work with and put their health first. NorthOne is proud to offer inclusive health and dental coverage.
- Flexible working hours: We don’t clock in and out at set times. You know when you do your best work. We celebrate accomplishments, not how many hours are spent at the office.
- Unlimited paid time off: We hire talented people and know that they need time off to be at their best. Take as much time off as you need to recharge and make sure youâre working sustainably.
- The latest computer equipment: We make sure you have the best equipment so you can produce great work.
- Professional development budget: We support lifelong learners by covering the cost of classes, workshops and conferences. You’ll also get access to our ever-growing library of industry-related books.
- Remote get-togethers: Bond with your teammates over shared interests at regular get-togethers. Find like-minded people who are passionate about everything from sport and music to gaming and cooking.
- One hell of an adventure!
If you recognize yourself in this job description, let’s talk.
NorthOne is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and celebrates diversity. We welcome all applicants regardless of race, colour, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, disability status or national origin.