About the job
As a Senior Infrastructure Engineer at Follow Up Boss, you’ll help us deliver the most reliable and performant experience for our customers and keep our existing infrastructure stable. You’ll work on every single piece of our infrastructure and touch every single one of our applications with the support of our existing infrastructure team. As we continue to grow, you will help our infrastructure scale in a steady, reliable way that is rarely about the hottest, newest technologies, but often the mature, boring ones that keep pagers quiet and are easy to reason about.
Why would you want to work here?
We’re a bootstrapped, profitable company started back in April of 2011. We’re a young, ambitious company who only answers to our customers and we don’t just claim to be customer-centric – we live it. We’re fully remote and have been since day 1. Here’s a few more reason’s we think you’ll love working here:
- Opportunity to have a big impact on our growth and your career
- No red tape or pointless meetings
- Competitive base salary – top 10% in US; for this position the range is $156K – $169K
- Strong benefit package including a 401k with 6% match, health/dental/vision insurance for you and our family, funding for continuing education, paid parental leave, kindle + unlimited books, home office setup, company meetups, and 20 PTO + 10 sick days
- Solve challenging technical problems and put your skills to the test every day. We’ve processed over a billion emails; per month we send nearly 3 million text messages and handle 700k+ minutes of call time for tens of thousands of active customers.
- See a direct impact of your work and value you created for customers.
- Provide direct input on technical and non-technical decisions. Your opinion matters.
This role is for you if…
- You would describe yourself as patient, empathetic and having a good sense of humor.
- You’re independent, self-motivated and can stay efficient and productive without someone looking over your shoulder all day long
- You have superb written and verbal skills (with a professional yet fun demeanor)
- You are based in the United States (or similar time zone)
- You are happy to have direct communication with customers (we are customer driven).
Your qualifications include:
- Self motivated and proactive mindset.
- Remote work experience is required.
- Based in the USA, with a quiet home office with fast internet.
- At least 5 years of experience in infrastructure pertaining to web applications.
- Strong experience with configuration and infrastructure automation using tools like Docker, Packer, and Terraform
- Well versed in using and managing various Amazon Web Services offerings. We use services such as RDS, EC2, Route 53, S3, ElastiCache and more.
- Strong experience with monitoring and alerting systems (we use Datadog, StatsD, PagerDuty, Pingdom)
- Strong knowledge of scripting languages (Bash, PHP, Python)
- Strong knowledge of relational databases (we use Aurora MySQL and PostgreSQL)
- Strong knowledge of CI/CD environments
- Strong knowledge of UNIX and networking.
- Proven track record of being security conscious.
- Ability to understand application code base for troubleshooting and partnering with software engineers to improve measurability of code performance and reliability.
- Exceptional time management skills.
- Attention to detail and commitment to quality.
- Pragmatic decision making regarding human and financial costs associated with infrastructure.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Under guidance of existing Infrastructure staff, take shared ownership and responsibility for the infrastructure, reliability, scalability and performance of our applications and services.
- Learn the current state of our infrastructure from other engineers and existing documentation, and improve that documentation to capture your findings.
- Identify and propose concrete steps to best improve existing infrastructure.
- Assist in determining top infrastructure priorities.
- Assist in insuring company security practices are being applied for all staff members
- Actively measure and monitor systems and react to anomalies as part of on-call rotation.
- Actively troubleshoots issues with the infrastructure and services.
- Press us forward with more automation and tooling to support our customer growth and engineering team effectiveness.
- Mentor other team members.
About the work
Here are some things we’ve worked on recently that might give you a better sense of what you’ll be doing day to day:
- Implement and deploy ProxySQL for our database servers
- Perform Capacity Planning for various services and infrastructure.
- Modify and extend Packer and Docker configurations for managing AWS resources
- Test stability of PHP 7.4 upgrade with our application.
- Handle on-call responsibilities across Follow Up Boss services
- Provision staging and production Typesense clusters.
- Communication and debugging DDL latency on a particular database server.
- Adjust existing and new metrics, monitoring, and alerts
30 Day Targets
- Become familiar with our product and infrastructure.
- Pair with fellow engineers to gain knowledge about the system and how we work.
- Improve the new hire onboarding process, by being a part of it.
60 Day Targets
- Assist with security updates for infrastructure
- Improve tooling for developer docker environment
- Improve gaps we have in metrics and monitoring.
90 Day Targets
- Join on-call rotation
- Help with database scaling of a newer service.
- Help address key infrastructure performance related items.
Core Engineering Values
- Code Quality
- Focus and Prioritization
- Customer Driven
- Leadership Qualities
Apply for the job
Do you want to join our team as our new Senior Infrastructure Engineer? Then we’d love to hear about you!