Eliminate Crime. Build Community.
Flock Safety provides the first public safety operating system that empowers private communities and law enforcement to work together to eliminate crime. We are committed to protecting human privacy and mitigating bias in policing with the development of best-in-class technology rooted in ethical design, which unites civilians and public servants in pursuit of a safer, more equitable society.
Our Safety-as-a-Service approach includes affordable devices powered by LTE and solar that can be installed anywhere. Our technology detects and captures objective details, decodes evidence in real-time and delivers investigative leads into the hands of those who matter.
While safety is a serious business, we are a supportive team that is optimizing the remote experience to create strong and fun relationships even when we are physically apart. Our flock of hard-working employees thrive in a positive and inclusive environment, where a bias towards action is rewarded. Flock Safety is headquartered in Atlanta and operates nationwide. We have raised approximately 250M in venture capital including a recent Series D round by Andreessen Horowitz. Now surpassing a 1B valuation, Flock is scaling quickly and seeking the best and brightest to help us meet our goal of eliminating crime in the United States by 25% in the next three years.
About the Opportunity
Flock is looking to add an Optical Engineer to our device firmware team. Our device team is made up of dedicated engineers who are responsible for all of the code running on a variety of devices Flock deploys in the real world. They enable the whole experience by creating firmware that reliably captures, processes, and uploads over 200M images per day for years at a time without needing human interaction to keep them running. The Image Quality Engineer will drive current and future product architectures that meet Flock’s product vision. This role will be heavily focused on stabilization and image processing requirements and camera system design.
How You’ll Take Flight with Flock
- Collaborate cross-functionally to drive system-level imaging requirements, derive specifications, and develop camera system architectures consisting of imaging sensors, lenses, modules, ISP, and IQ tuning.
- Develop methods to simulate, quantify, analyze, and present proposals and designs for imaging systems as well as collaborate on prototyping efforts when necessary
- Drive architecture specifications down to component level selection and development
- Manage and report image quality deliverables to cross-functional team to guide product development
- Help define and lead camera & imaging technology roadmaps
- We are looking for someone who is comfortable designing imaging systems with no clear starting point
- Experience with modern imaging algorithms
- Experience managing project deliverables and schedules to meet commitments to product development teams
- Experience with evaluation of sensors, image processing techniques, ISP blocks or mainstream computational photography algorithms for mobile camera product
- Able to tune camera images for Auto White Balance (AWB), Auto Exposure (AEC) and/or detecting color within the image
- Experience analyze image data from camera systems using software tools and scripts
- Possess strong communication and collaboration skills across cross-functional teams
Why join the Flock?
When you join the Flock, you are joining a diverse team of passionate, ambitious, intelligent people that put team over self. We offer competitive salary (commensurate with experience), equity in the company, take what you need vacation policy, and the opportunity to grow your career at a fast-paced, high growth mission-driven startup. We genuinely care about the well-being of our employees both in and out of the office and understand the importance of work/life balance. We’d love for you to join us in the fight to eliminate crime, one community at a time.