Please note: this is not a “Level Designer” role, but please stay tuned for future vacancies on our website
We’re a new breed of games company.
We’re evolving the games industry by being different and we look after our team well. We never crunch and overtime is always optional, and always paid.
As we expand our product portfolio with AAA games (including recent announcements and more to come), we’re looking for a Lead Games Designer who can make a big impact at our fast growing studio.
We’re on the hunt for a creative leader who is excited by transforming their and their teams’ vision, into coherent designs and direction. We seek individuals with experience overseeing a full game or large areas therein, that can also bring their experience working with and coaching other Designers. You’ll collaborate closely with other designers, artists, UI and gameplay code teams to shape and integrate your vision/s. You may also work with and assist production, to help task and track the project’s development, as well as oversee the work of Designers on the team.
Initially you’ll work remotely due to the Covid-19 pandemic and when our team returns to the studio, you’ll have the option to set up camp at our HQ in Middlesbrough, UK. We’re willing to offer 100% remote working (UK only) for this role. Currently Double Eleven is working effectively remotely and we continue to assess the Covid-19 situation, with the safety of our staff as our top priority. We’re still actively recruiting and onboarding new staff and will provide you with everything you need to join remotely.
Strictly no agencies (sorry guys!) and we’re unable to sponsor a visa at this time.
WOULD YOU ENJOY
- Playing a key role in the creation of beautiful games and memorable player experiences
- Joining a company in a very senior, decision making capacity
- Working with structure but having the creative freedom to work in white space
- Working with a team that has a great reputation in the industry, and only works on projects where it can do a great job and continues to grow
Think of us as a crew instead of a studio, heading in the same direction and dependent on one another to succeed.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Establish or support the creative direction of a project or aspects of it
- Support, empower and monitor the work of other designers in their team, in a lead role
- Work closely with all department leads (Art, Code, Production, QA) as the game takes shape, convey your ideas concisely and champion a high level of quality and player experience throughout
- Undertake and approach design tasks that are fit for purpose – Whether it be designing brand new content, creating suitable additional content for our current catalogue, or analysing and improving existing features for a game we may be bringing across to a new platform
- Create clear annotated mockups and/or diagrams for UI(s) and HUDs, for artists and coders to follow and implement efficiently
- Visualise and consider the entire game and its components when designing or improving content
- A great designer can not only come up with innovative new mechanics but also fully understand the implications on the rest of the game and its ecosystems; Controls, UI, player messaging and feedback, consistency, pacing, difficulty curve, etc. Take a proactive approach to foresee problems and provide design solutions that are mindful of a project’s scope and timescales
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- 4 or more years working as a Senior or Lead Games Designer on at least 3 shipped products
- We are flexible in this regard and would consider the right candidate with a lot of experience at a lower level
- Project leadership skills – Experience leading a game design and/or the key features therein, ensuring your own (and/or your team’s) designs are clear, concise, produced in a timely manner, properly implemented and balanced
- Experience working independently and/or leading other designers, and working closely with other departments to communicate and deliver your (and your teams’) designs to a high standard
- Experience in participating in many forms of game design, including; UI/UX, game modes, key features and mechanics, balancing and progression, accessibility, reward systems, etc
- We also hope that you could bring your own unique experiences and skill-sets to our business
- A high level of general language skills and an ability to create an exceptional standard of documentation, diagrams, spreadsheets or flow charts to communicate your design visions
SKILLS OR INTERESTS CONSIDERED A BONUS
- Creating and presenting game pitches
- Experience working on Live Service products and/or managing and designing for a game’s long tail of post-launch content
- Community coordinator or management experience
- Press demos and presentations
- Experience working on both PC and current-gen console platforms
- Experience working in a production or producer role and everything schedule-orientated that keeps a project and its feature implementation on track – from design through to tasking, milestones, implementation, testing and tuning of features and mechanics
- Knowledge and experience of game engines (Unity/Unreal), scripting (Java/Lua), database creation/management
- Public speaking and presenting
- Someone who is confident in a public forum and available to help represent the company and our games at shows, press events and expos at home and abroad is invaluable
- Creative or narrative writing skills and experience, perhaps classically trained
- Experience working on titles or projects with live operations
- All relevant qualifications considered
WORKING AT DOUBLE ELEVEN
We’re pretty sure we’re the best place to work, period.
Some of our benefits include:
- Flexible working hours (start anytime between 8:00am and 10:00am)
- Flexible lunch hours
- Personal development plan and potential annual performance bonuses
- Vitality Private Healthcare (for you and your family)
- Christmas bonuses
- State of the art office facilities
- Regular team lunches and title launch parties
- Additional leave for moving house and birthdays
- Cycle scheme
WHAT WE DO
Double Eleven Limited is a full-service publisher and developer, with our head office located in Middlesbrough and a second office in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Since becoming an independent publisher, Double Eleven has focused on bringing great games to new platforms and audiences including titles from the PixelJunk series, Prison Architect, and Goat Simulator. Double Eleven has also developed a strong reputation for technical skill, working on external titles such as the Lego Harry Potter series (PS4/XB1/Switch), Limbo (Vita) Crackdown 3 (Windows 10) and most recently brought Minecraft Dungeons (Switch, PS4 & Xbox One) to players around the world in partnership with Mojang and Microsoft.
In 2017 and 2018, we were voted one of the best places to work in the UK Games Industry by gamesindustry.biz. From development and business development, marketing to distribution, there’s a huge amount of talent and experience here from all levels of the games industry.
Through hard work, ambition and humanity, we are able to use that experience to create and bring to market great games that people love.
Contact email for all queries: [email protected]