ProQuest – Who we are…
The ProQuest Mission: Better research. Better learning, Better insights.
What if you came to work each day ready to revolutionize the future of research, teaching and learning? That’s how it feels to be a ProQuest employee. Whatever your chosen career path, you have an important role in helping ProQuest build the resources that empower librarians, faculty and students to create extraordinary outcomes.
Lead Linux Engineer
What will I be doing?
The Linux Engineer Lead provides leadership and guidance of junior engineering team providing support for systems design, troubleshooting, and escalation for complex server, production impacting, issues.
In this position, you will also…
• Provide input to development of server, operating system and security, design and architecture through the most cost-effective means without compromising quality.
• Develop server monitoring posture, to include planning and assessment of existing tools.
• Lead capacity planning sessions, analyzes facilities and bandwidth requirements, to include system interdependencies.
• Drive scope and timeliness of assigned projects.
• Create project scope, timelines, milestones and details all deliverables.
• Resolve complex server issues impacting production applications.
• Responsible for dissemination of new standards, specifications, and technologies into existing processes and methodologies.
• Lead evaluation of current server posture and provide insight to areas of exposure, including engagement of third-party resources and overall selection of vendors.
• Respond to and drives to resolution any issues reported during assigned pager rotations.
• Lead product demonstrations.
• Responsible for vendor management and evaluation.
Reasons you should apply…
1. You are passionate about working in a Linux environment!
2. You have an inspiration to work in UCS (Cisco)!
3. You enjoy mentoring others!
This job may not be a fit if…
1. You prefer to work in one area of expertise rather than have a variety of work each day.
2. You prefer to work on your own, and not collaborating with other groups.
3. You are not self-motivated to identify issues and figure out a resolution.
Qualified Candidates must have…
• Bachelor’s degree or higher in related field, plus minimum 7 years of related experience, or equivalent combination of education/certification and experience.
• Advanced knowledge of Server Hardware, Unix/Linux Operating Systems, Unix Services and security.
• Excellent researching and problem-solving skills, including the ability to analyze, compare, evaluate, reconcile and order data.
• Strong interpersonal skills, with ability to professionally interact with a diverse blend of personalities to reach resolution and maintain strong relationships.
• Strong capacity to learn and master new technology.
• Strong ability to coordinate with departments outside UEO for project, operational and maintenance tasking and planning.
• Self-starter with ability to work independently with little guidance.
• Strong ability to prioritize project, operational and task related work effectively.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, able to provide status updates and lead project planning meetings at various levels in the organization.
• Strong working knowledge of security protocols, to include design, troubleshooting and analysis of security posture and infrastructure.
Superstar Candidates will ALSO have…
• Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Assurance or other related I.T. field of study.
• Experience working with Cisco UCS
• Vendor certifications, RedHat (RHCE), Cisco Expert Level Certification, or higher.
• Amazon Professional Level Certification.
More to love about becoming a PQ employee!
• Forbes Ranks ProQuest among 2018 America’s Best Mid-Size Employers
• We offer professional development opportunities with a significant focus on learning
• We hold fun on-site events
• Our employee population is smart and highly collaborative
• We have a relaxed dress code… yes, that means blue jeans (and not just on Fridays!)
• All of our employees have access to ProQuest research products including e-books, genealogy and academic journals
At ProQuest, we embrace the power of our people and value our differences — in thought, style, sexual orientation, gender identity, culture, ethnicity, and experience — recognizing that our diversity makes us a stronger company. Encouraging a diverse, inclusive workplace gives us the business advantage of understanding and meeting the needs of our diverse customers, clients, and communities.
Other important information about this position:
• This position can be based remotely (preferably in EST) or out of our Ann Arbor, MI ProQuest office.
• This position requires weekday (Monday – Friday) attendance with some scheduling flexibility available around core working hours.
• Every position requires certain physical capabilities. ProQuest/PQ seeks to make reasonable accommodations that enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties when possible. At ProQuest, we work hard and have fun doing it. If you are a passionate professional with a drive for success, please consider joining our talented team!!
The preceding job description is not intended to describe in detail the multitude of tasks that may be assigned, but rather to provide a general overview of the expectations and responsibilities of this position. As the nature of business demands change, so may the functions of this position. Additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned.