Lead a Canonical initiative in developer tooling with container technology to create new workflows for collaboration and software engineering in high end fields like AI/ML, robotics, and finance.
Canonical Ubuntu is focused on developer experience to enable brilliant people all over the world to create next-generation software from cloud to edge. It is a central part of our mission to speed up the pace of innovation in all fields, by making open source easier to build, share and consume. In this new initiative, we want to raise the bar substantially on the speed and clarity of specialised software development which depends on large numbers of libraries and tools which need to be available to developers in a consistent fashion.
Extensive software development experience and deep familiarity with Linux containers (LXD, Docker, Kubernetes) and the underlying kernel capabilities which enable them (CGROUPS, namespaces) are a requirement for this role.
Applicants should be passionate about the future of container technology, software engineering, and open source. Canonical is a globally distributed team of engineers who share that passion. Engineers who thrive at Canonical are mindful of open source community dynamics, and equally aware of the needs of large enterprise customers.
What you’ll do
- Design the user experience for next-generation software collaboration in open source
- Implement container-based collaboration capabilities for Ubuntu and other Linux distributions
- Implement mechanisms for community collaboration in complex software environments
- Implement pipelines for security maintenance and support of complex software environments
- Collaborate proactively with a distributed team
- Write high quality code to create new features
- Debug issues and produce high quality code to fix them
- Review code produced by other engineers
- Discuss ideas and collaborate on finding good solutions
- Work from home with global travel 2 to 4 weeks for internal and external events
- Engage with the open source community on a daily basis, including them deeply in our processes
- Engage professionally with customers and commercial partners to tell the story of this work
- Work from home with global travel up to 15% for internal and external events
Who you are
- You have experience working with Linux containers
- You have experience in Python or Golang software development on Linux
- You love technology and working with brilliant people
- You are curious, flexible, articulate, and accountable
- You value soft skills and are enterprising, thoughtful, and self-motivated
- You have a Bachelors or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree
What Canonical Offers
- Learning and professional development, with annual budget
- Annual compensation review
- Recognition rewards
- Annual leave
- Priority Pass for travel
- Work remotely with a talented, distributed, global team
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and background create a better work environment and better products. Whatever your identity we will give your application fair consideration.