Smokeball: Legal Practice Management Software.
Small law firms help their local communities work through the mess of life, and Smokeball helps these firms bill more without their clients paying more. Intriguing right?
Top 3 Highlights about Smokeball
- Culture is sacred. As a winner in the 2019 and 2020 ‘Best Place to Work’, as well as placing 4th in the WRK+ ‘Best Place to Work Study’ in 2021, company culture is the single most important ingredient to our success. It’s all about our people at the end of the day.
- The best product in legal tech – we think deeply about the challenges of small law firms, and instead of delivering the “faster horse”, we drive innovations that truly change the lives of our clients.
- Growth – Claim your seat on the rocket ship! Smokeball has just had its best year ever. We just raised $40MM and we’re headed to new heights in 2021 and beyond.
Not sure about the LegalTech industry? well read this…
LegalTech is the booming legal technology industry, building software solutions that are transforming the way legal services are delivered. There has been record amounts of funding poured into the industry in recent years as investors realise the potential for long term value that LegalTech companies can deliver. The industry is estimated to be worth around $15bn and is growing every year.
Small law firms are also at the heart of our local communities, and are there for us at our most stressful times. They help us deal with difficult family issues like divorce and aging family members; they help us with exciting life opportunities like starting a business or buying a first home. Whatever it is, chances are it’s the most important thing happening in that person’s life at that time. For small law firms, it’s a hard job, a stressful job, and while they’re here for us, Smokeball is here for them. Our software empowers them to get their work done faster, work smarter, and track their time accurately so they get paid properly for the work they’re doing.
About our tech
Smokeball is building Desktop and Mobile applications backed by a scalable distributed backend fully hosted in AWS. Our applications are relied upon by thousands of users across Australia and the US.
Smokeball is committed to improving its technology
- Windows applications are being migrated to .NET 5
- APIs are being migrated to serverless architecture
You will work as a full-stack engineer in a tight-knit, collaborative, agile team environment.
You will be responsible for the ongoing development of highly distributed applications working within the latest .NET technologies. You will be working predominantly with C#, .NET, .NET Core, WPF, NServiceBus, ASP.NET MVC and gain exposure to the Cloud using AWS SDKs
- Take a product through the entire lifecycle of analysis, design, coding, testing and implementation and support
- Implement all aspects of an application design – high performance design, coding, error logging, debugging, scalability, code reviews, development environment configuration, and testing.
Above all we are looking for a passion in software development, sound engineering skills, and an exceptional problem solver.
Ideally you’ll have a Bachelor degree from an accredited college or university, and 4+ years of development experience.
- Solid foundation of C# .NET
- Design Patterns (Dependency Injection, Event Sourcing)
- Distributed architecture
- NET MVC
Nice to have
- Desktop app experience
- Service Bus
- AWS Lambdas
- .Net 5
What’s in it for you
- Be part of a fast-growing product team working on disrupting the market. You will get an opportunity to work on new products and watch them come to life.
- You will not be the smartest in the room – work with a diverse and talented team of people.
- Competitive salary, a fun working environment, and lots of perks.
- Regular bonuses
- Employee share scheme
- Loads of work flexibility – ability to work from home frequently
- Awesome off-sites and parties
- Smokeball company lunches all around Sydney – come to one or come to all!
- $1000 well-being allowance
- Daily breakfast and snacks
- And of course…the SWAG!
Check out what life as a Developer at Smokeball is like here: https://dev.smokeball.com.au/
How we work
Following Verne Harnish’s growth methodologies, we have a BHAG (Big Hairy Audacious Goal!); we strategise every third, set big company and individual goals; and most importantly, communicate and share our strategic priorities with the entire team. At Smokeball you will always know where we’re heading, why, and will have the opportunity to challenge and contribute to our success.
Last, but not least, these are our core values
- Caring is not optional
- Make it happen
- Deliver legendary service
- Own your client’s experience
- Innovate for the client, not the press release
- Be frank
- Keep listening, keep learning
If our values resonate with your personal values and the role is a fit, we’d love to hear from you!
This role is only open to Australian residents. Unfortunately we are not able to offer sponsorship at this time.