Headquarters: Boston, MA
The MuckRock Foundation is seeking an experienced Zendesk support manager who can lead a team of six part- and full-time and act as a liaison between technology, customer care and logistics. This is a critical hire for our small team as you will improve our current processes to ensure our customer requests are taken care of.
This role will serve as the organization’s logistical quarterback, helping lead and manage a distributed support team, developing and executing processes to consistently exceed user expectations, help manage flow and follow up for hundreds of thousands of public records requests, and help define the organizational structures we need to continue to grow.
This position requires someone who is highly organized, can help develop and implement flexible structure, and wants a role that will provide future opportunities for career and skill growth. They should be comfortable writing support and help documentation, preparing weekly reports highlighting key developments and metrics, excited to help a passionate community, and both interested in the power of automation while understanding that sometimes only the human touch will do.
With MuckRock, those skills will be put to work on behalf of 3,000 newsrooms around the world, including international investigative collaboratives and independent local media relied upon by their communities. You’ll also be assisting researchers, non-profits, and individuals all seeking to build a more informed, engaged society.
You should be extremely comfortable with Zendesk and interested in continuing to build your skills with it, as well as set up, understand, and explain key reports to help set high goals and track progress. We also use Notion, Zapier, Airtable and a variety of other flexible, digital-first tools, so we’d love to hear your experience setting up and building better systems whether with them or platforms you love.
- Triaging customer support queries, as well as providing clear guidance and expectations for other support team members to respond.
- Managing processes to follow up with government agencies to get updates on the status of information requests and build ongoing relationships.
- Creating help desk and software documentation for both internal and external usage.
- Fielding and making phone calls both about customer service as well as helping check and update our database of government agency contacts.
- Providing administrative support to help us build strong processes for internal and external support such as new user onboarding, team member orientation, and other ways to contribute to organizational processes and success.
- Actively participating in twice-weekly staff meetings, coordinating with department heads and highlighting potential upcoming or current challenges.
- The ability to maintain confidential and sensitive information and follow through on proper digital and physical security measures, including ensuring sensitive materials are locked or secured.
The salary for this role starts at $55,000 (not dependent upon location) and includes the following benefits:
- Three weeks of paid vacation annually, plus ten holidays (US postal holidays), and week between Christmas and New Year’s Day off.
- Health insurance with full premium for employees paid and 75% of premium for dependents.
- Professional development, including covering costs for conference and event attendance.
- All board meetings are open to all staff and include meaningful engagement.
- Company dental, vision, life, 401k, and health flexible spending account plans.
- Budget for a new laptop that you pick out and other home office purchases.
- Distributed team with flexible scheduling.
To apply, please fill out the application form located at the button below or email a resume, optional cover letter, and links to any public works or a portfolio to jobs@MuckRock.com.