Headquarters: Registered in Germany but operating worldwide
OpenCraft is an open source software development company, working with higher education (Harvard, MIT, Arizona State University, University of British Columbia), corporate e-learning (edX, Autodesk, Cloudera), NGOs and government. We specialize in the Open edX platform.
We are a boutique dev shop with an inclusive culture, and 30 team members located all around the world. Our team is made up of people who are curious, inventive, and hard-working. We have been working remotely for over 7 years now; so you will be able to work from anywhere you want, as long as you have a good internet connection. : )
We base our work on the principles of open-first, transparency, open source, self-management, and a heavy focus on quality. You can learn everything about us and our processes in our public handbook.
About the role
We are looking for an enthusiastic Senior Business Development Specialist to join the OpenCraft team and serve in a key and visible role to lead the planning, development, and execution of our sales and business development strategy. Our Senior Business Development Specialist is our primary salesperson and is responsible for preparing and delivering our business proposals.
As per our self-management principles, the Senior Business Development Specialist handles the planning and execution of the work, and is empowered to take the lead on projects and make decisions that affect their work. For example, you could set up an experimental project to increase lead generation, and assume full ownership of the project in terms of planning, management, and execution of this project. Our self-management approach distributes decision-making to allow efficiency, creativity and flexibility, all the while keeping a focus on our commitment to quality.
We’re looking for someone with a strong customer focus, who thrives in cross-functional roles, loves working side-by-side with engineers, and can confidently lead several work streams at once.
What you’ll be doing
- Coordinating sales and business development
- Preparing business proposals
- Delivering proposals in meetings with prospects
- Processing, qualifying, and converting leads
- Documenting leads and accounts in our CRM
- Coordinating new accounts and projects with the development team
- Planning projects for lead generation, prospection, and process improvements
- Contributing to Marketing efforts (coordinating blog posts, newsletters, case studies, producing marketing materials, etc.)
- Participating in open source community working groups and activities
- Supporting open source community members, and contributing to the community
- Giving talks at the annual Open edX conference
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in software sales/business development
- Knowledge about how software is built in large teams and projects
- Experience working with higher education
- General technical interest and proficiency (you’ve dabbled with code but may or may not have done it professionally)
- Excellent communication skills (fluent in English, read, written, and spoken) and ability to foster rapport and strong client relationships
- Detail-oriented with a positive approach to taking on new challenges
- Ability to work collaboratively, as part of a team, with internal stakeholders
- Strong work ethic, time management skills and ability to meet deadlines
- Good professional presentation and consulting skills
- A personal computer with a robust internet connection
Nice to haves
- Remote work experience
- Experience working with public tenders
- Experience working with Agile frameworks (Scrum, Kanban, working in sprints)
- Knowledge of open source software and projects
- Knowledge of the Open edX platform
- Technical background, computer engineering skills
Conditions of employment
- Full-time contractor position (paid hourly, no sales commission)
- 100% remote