Headquarters: San Francisco, CA
PeopleGrove Marketing Team – Full Time
United States – San Francisco, San Diego, Austin, Reno, or remote
United States – San Francisco, San Diego, Austin, Reno, or remote
Building connections in the real world is a universal human need. PeopleGrove’s purpose is to ensure every student and professional has access to a community and the connections to succeed. Our products drive life-changing, door opening connections for students at a critical stage of their professional development. These connections are only possible if our university partners get their students and alumni to join PeopleGrove. It takes a dedicated effort to get humans to adopt new software. Even harder to make it a habit. Marketing plays a critical role in this process. The challenge: our partners are not inherently marketers. They need our help.
PeopleGrove is looking for a talented, growth-hacking marketer to build our lifecycle marketing practice. You will be responsible for the design and execution of programs that prospect, convert, retain, deepen engagement with students and alumni at some of the most recognizable universities in the world (Yale, Notre Dame, USC, University of Michigan, Johns Hopkins). You will work cross-functionally with Product, Revenue, Customer Success and your peers in Marketing to amplify adoption across our fast-growing user base.
30% strategy, 30% copywriting/copyediting, 20% email and marketing campaign management, 10% analytics and reporting, 10% creative direction.
You are the steward of user joy and delight. Evangelist for fair access, equity, and inclusion. Reporting to our VP of Marketing, the Lifecycle Marketing Manager will construct a completely new strategy for user acquisition and user adoption across all of our existing customers. You will oversee our user journey and develop the programs for how we guide users through our product. You’re inspired by helping people discover how they can use a tool like PeopleGrove to make connections, build social capital, gain real-world experience, find a job, etc.
The ideal candidate will use a combination of data, testing, and a high degree of customer empathy to drive activation, engagement, conversion, and expansion. Since PeopleGrove is used across a diverse set of customers and use cases with many potential points to drive engagement, this is a unique role for an analytically-inclined lifecycle marketer to be creative and drive measurable results. We need a critical thinker that will challenge our status quo. Your scope will encompass lifecycle marketing strategy and execution, customer segmentation and lifecycle research, experimentation, and lifecycle channel management.
Can you get other teams excited about the work you do? Strong cross-departmental feedback loops and presenting results will be crucial to support our marketing, product, and customer success teams. You will develop an understanding of what activities increase user adoption and growth. Although this role is strategic, you must be willing to roll up your sleeves. The qualified candidate can demonstrate their successes in customer marketing, lifecycle marketing, or demand generation. Ideal candidates have marketing automation, user activation, and user adoption experience at a B2C, B2B, or B2B2C SaaS company.
3 Reasons You Will Love This Job
- You’ll be the first one. Not only do you get to do what you love, your fingerprints will be all over the process, culture, and company we build in the years to come.
- We live to delight our customers. PeopleGrove customers are happy. They love the product. They love the company. There are many success stories to share.
- You’ll have a huge impact on the business, and have potential to change the lives of young professionals and future leaders across the world.
- Develop a journey map to help us understand our potential users needs at different stages of their relationship with us.
- Create campaigns that engage, nurture, and grow our user base from awareness, signup, all the way through product mastery, and advocacy.
- Build and leverage data to monitor how people are using PeopleGrove, inflection points in their experience, and how we can drive activation and engagement.
- Use email, push, and in-app notifications to serve content that will educate and retain users, encourage them to explore, reward them for their achievements, and help them discover new features and value.
- Constantly measure and report campaign performance, rigorously A/B test, and optimize our communications across channels (including paid marketing and landing pages)
- Partner closely with other teams — product, design, customer success, and sales — to serve the most effective content possible, share and respond to feedback, and strengthen our customer-facing efforts across the board.
- Identify key, measurable metrics (Increase % of Students and Alumni Activated in Client Hubs, Increase Average MAU / Hub, Achieve goal of __ MM Joined users).
- Interpret data, analyze results and develop reports, dashboards and insights across segments, identifying ways to improve adoption metrics
- Work with product teams to craft and launch experiences to onboard and activate users to new product features
- Become well known in our customer community as an advocate for users within PeopleGrove.
- For university partners, you will deliver customer consultations and webinars with a goal of driving product adoption and attaining positive student and alumni outcomes.
- Evangelize and maintain integrity on these efforts across our university partners.
- Develop lifecycle marketing playbook including procedures, monthly and quarterly KPIs.
- Provide marketing worldview and input on adjacent systems along the customer journey including Salesforce, Gainsight, and Hubspot.
Your Hand in Guiding Strategy
- Help us understand why some users adopt and others defect.
- Design adoption strategies that can be shared with university partners to help them realize success.
- Develop new user adoption metrics, dashboards, and expected results for PeopleGrove.
- 5+ years experience in CRM, email or lifecycle marketing, implementing marketing strategies through email, marketing automation, and in-product messaging.
- You can operate reasonably autonomously on the data side.
- You have a track record of successful campaigns backed up by measurable ROI.
- You can share proven A/B testing strategies that resulted in optimized results.
- You’re fluent with email, CRM (Salesforce), automation tools (Hubspot), and user engagement tools (CleverTap, Chameleon, Intercom, etc) and excited about the opportunity to add new ones to our tech stack.
- Proven ability to build strong cross-functional stakeholder relationships across multiple teams; ability to collaborate and lead through influence to drive execution of a strategy.
- Experience with web analytics (Google Analytics, Adobe Analytics, or similar) and UTM tracking.
- A user-experience mindset, always seeking ways to improve their experience.
- You’re interested & invested in how customers move through and experience a product – and how you can help get them there.
- Aware of how brand assets and creative efforts are perceived and hold your customer-facing work to a high standard of quality. You can design and create professional-looking communications independently.
- Eager to roll up your sleeves with a fast-growing startup and can plan ahead to let your efforts scale down the line.
- Mission oriented; passionate about making an impact in higher education.
- Able to thrive in fast-paced, entrepreneurial environments with changing expectations and responsibilities.
- Exceptional project management skills.
- Self-motivated with the ability to take direction and work collaboratively or independently when necessary.
- Comfortable with a largely remote team.
- Ability to check your ego at the door.
- Desire to have fun at work.
- Desire to help create something big.
- People that have worked with you will attest to the above.
- BA/BS degree in Marketing, Psychology, or equivalent discipline.
Sample Interview Questions
- What is Lifecycle Marketing in your own words?
- Share at least one strategy plan from your portfolio at the first interview.
- What strategy, tactics, tools, and content would you use to tackle this role?
- Have you ever defined your own role? How did that work out?
- What would make your next job the best job you’ve ever had?
- Explain how you would get familiar with our industry and the persona’s you will be marketing to.
- What are you working on improving about yourself, or learning right now?
- Apply with your resume and a cover letter.
- Include your LinkedIn profile.
- Provide examples of articles you’ve written, content you’ve created, marketing programs you managed.
- If you have not held a lifecycle marketing role in the past, that doesn’t necessarily exclude you. Share why you will excel as a lifecycle marketer in spite of past titles.