Research Square is passionate about making research communication faster, fairer, and more useful. Launched in 2018, our preprint platform is already the fastest growing preprint server in the world. Our team embraces and fuels change, fights for simplicity, and values risk-taking. We have developed tools and services that have been adopted by major international publishers to improve the publishing experience for their authors. We are a high-growth, mission-driven company that regularly wins awards for our workplace culture, pace of growth, and innovations. Though we have an office location in Durham, our team is mostly remote.
What you will do in this role:
- You will have ownership of our projects end-to-end, including but not limited to technical design, writing code, participating in code review, shipping your code, and post-release monitoring and analytics.
- You will contribute both front-end and back-end code for our preprint platform, our operations back-end to build workflows and efficiencies for our services that power the platform, as well as for other R&D projects and new product development. We deploy code frequently and often, and your work will never sit around and become stagnant.
- You will collaborate with our team of engineers, product owners, and department heads in an autonomous and supportive environment.
The work will be varied and will evolve over time. This position will require an inventive, ambitious, and highly flexible mindset.
You are most likely to succeed in this role if you are a generalist by nature, and are comfortable with changing business priorities dictating what your next project will be. We use the Kanban system to dictate priorities for the team within a defined system of project and resource prioritization, and the priorities may change based on operational necessities, user feedback, new product development, or management priorities.
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
- Significant experience (3+ years) in engineering scalable applications
- Extensive PHP development experience
- Experience in React.js / server-side Node
- Experience in Docker, Next.js, and AWS (these are plusses)
- Experience making data-driven decisions
- Understanding of data design and modeling
- Built and worked on complex web applications
Factors we will use in evaluating your performance in this role:
- Delivery of high-quality code in a timely manner
- Proactive communication with team members and stakeholders
- Supportive attitude towards your team members’ projects, and an openness to receiving help
- Satisfaction of your stakeholders
Ready to apply?
We’d love to hear from you even if you don’t satisfy every single one of our requirements.