Headquarters: Washington, District of Columbia
Position Title: DevOps Engineer
Reports to: CEO
Position Location: Full-Time Remote (even after COVID)
Politech is the company behind Blocks, a SaaS web application for effective political advocacy. We help organizations manage and realize their policy goals by providing them with tools that assist them in tasks such as voter registration, grassroots organizing, and outreach. Our primary focus has been to assist progressive organizations that advocate on behalf of underserved communities. Our software platform has been a vital part of keeping such organizations successful and efficient.
Who We Are
We are deeply committed to public service and progressive social change. We are 100% minority owned and operated with a diverse team, inclusive of gender, ethnicity, and race.
Politech is now looking for an experienced DevOps Engineer. They will be responsible for deploying product updates, troubleshooting and optimizing production environments and implementing integrations that meet our customers’ needs. If you have a solid background in maintaining web applications and a passion for using code to automate solutions, we’d love to speak with you. The ideal candidate will be looking to transition into a more development- oriented role using Phoenix/Elixir. Comfort working on the full stack would also be a plus. We favor collaboration over hierarchical decision making, and this position will work closely with other developers while reporting directly to the CEO.
Our employees are from all over the country and bring varying levels of experience to the company. First and foremost, we value honesty from all employees. We strongly encourage a work environment centered on open communication and conscientiousness. Working remotely gives our employees the ability to better maintain a work-life balance, but we expect that productivity and job performance will not be sacrificed. We are a fully remote team so you will need to be flexible to work with staff in different time zones when requested.
The individual should be highly motivated to make a difference and to move progressive issues forward. Our employees’ opinions matter to us for the success of the company and we want you to bring creative solutions to make our work better for our clients. Interest and understanding of politics and campaigns is a plus, but not required.
- Implementing various development, testing, automation tools, and IT infrastructure
- Building and setting up new development tools and infrastructure
- Working on ways to automate and improve development and release processes
- Testing and examining code written by others and analyzing results
- Ensuring that systems are safe and secure against cybersecurity threats
- Working with developers to ensure that we are following established best practices
- Troubleshooting and bugfixes
- 3+ years experience as a DevOps Engineer or similar software engineering role
- 1+ years of PostgreSQL admin experience
- Ruby or Python experience with a willingness to learn Elixir
- Proficient with git and git workflows
- Appreciation for diverse thinking and approaches, and acceptance that every problem can have multiple solutions
- 1+ years of Ansible or Chef/Puppet experience
- Nginx or Redis admin experience
- Contributions to open source
- Performance tuning
Compensation: Competitive salary commensurate with knowledge, experience, and qualifications.
Politech is an Equal Opportunity Employer that greatly values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Include your GitHub account (or similar), resume, and cover letter. Write us something explaining who you are, what you do, why you want this job. We take our commitment to progressive social change seriously, and we expect you to be able to speak to yours in your cover letter. After an initial interview, you will be asked to provide a Elixir code sample or complete a code challenge in a relevant language.