Join our team either remotely or in our HQ in Amsterdam. This role can be based in any location within the EMEA region.
MessageBird is transforming the communications landscape as one of the fastest-growing software companies in the world. Our cloud communications platform makes it possible for businesses to instantly connect with over 7 billion phones globally, allowing them to speak with their customers in the same ways they talk to their friends.
Our suite provides access to all major messaging channels, from SMS and Voice to WeChat, Messenger, Facebook, WhatsApp and more. We provide out-of-the-box solutions with our own applications like Inbox and Flow Builder, plus a robust set of APIs that simplify workflows and automation.
With over 20,000 customers — including some of the world’s biggest brands like Facebook, Deliveroo, Uber and WhatsApp — it’s likely that you’ve benefited from MessageBird’s omnichannel technology at some point. For small and mid-sized businesses, we also offer support and solutions through an Online Self-Serve (OSS) dashboard.
Our global team is a powerhouse of 350+ employees, who work across eight international offices. We’re excited that you’re here and interested to #jointhenest.
How we work
We work fast, grow fast, and build fast. Life at MessageBird moves in fast-forward motion. We’re a team that focuses on making an impact — right from day one. We are go-getters, industry leaders, and dreamers. Risk takers. Roll-up-your-sleeves-and-make-it-happen kind of people. We thrive on transparency, and we value solution-minded attitudes.
We are all driven by one ethos: Get Shit Done. We love shaping things together and leveraging different perspectives, because that makes our products better. Our Birds are empowered with freedom and opportunity; in return, we expect honesty, courage, and agility. We own our work, and sometimes we fail. And then we get back up and cross the finish line — together as a team. Sound refreshing? We think so, too.
The role: Principal Software Engineer (SMS)
The Principal Software Engineer plays a critical role in our SMS engineering teams. You’ll be responsible for leading architectural design discussions for developing and maintaining highly available and performant services within the domain of our world-leading SMS products.
Our SMS engineering teams have the freedom and authority to create impactful products to empower both our internal and external customers. We use an agile development methodology, meaning we deploy code multiple times per day while ensuring our services are adequately tested and analysed.
What you’ll do
- Lead the architectural design and development for our SMS products and infrastructure.
- Expanding our customer facing services and core components to be globally distributed and highly-available.
- With an eye for detail you will dive into the details to solve customer problems and work on raising the standards for the design and automation for our systems, as well as improving processes of our day-to-day operations.
- As part of the SMS Engineering leadership team, you will be co-responsible for setting the technical direction for the team; sharing knowledge with the team and helping with personal development
- Work with the Engineers to ensure that the infrastructure is highly available, performant, fault-tolerant and scalable.
What you’ll bring
- 10+ years experience of developing and operating high-scale web- and/or API applications.
- 3+ years experience designing & architecting distributed, highly available, performant, fault-tolerant and scalable services.
- Expert knowledge of PHP and experience working in large(r) projects is preferred. Go experience is a bonus.
- Strong business sense and ability to collaborate with leadership and non-technical stakeholders on highly visible projects.
- Expert knowledge and a passion for development patterns, software architectures and design patterns (TDD, Event-Driven, SOLID, Hexagonal, DDD).
- Strong experience working with relational and non-relational databases (MySQL, Cassandra, Redis).
- Experience automating CI/CD pipelines
- Knowledge of (cloud) infrastructure principles (load balancing, high availability, containerized services, database configurations).
- Expertise in configuration management for deploying, configuring, and managing servers and systems
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English.
Psst … some added perks
- The ability to Work Anywhere — literally anywhere you want, as long as it’s in the same time zone as your team (yup… you read that right!). This comes with the added benefit of finding the right work-life balance for you by following our 80/20 rule.
- WFH office set-up allowance to make sure you have all you need to “get shit done” in an ergonomically-friendly manner.
- Top-notch work equipment (including Bose headphones!).
- MessageBird swag to keep you well-dressed.
- The occasional (virtual) company-wide and team events.
- A team of (fast-)forward-thinking, talented and fun colleagues from more than 50 countries!
MessageBird is an equal opportunity employer. If you think you’re a match for this role and can bring some great skills to the MessageBird team, please apply! We’re excited to get to know you.