About the Role
As a Principal Technical Mentor at App Academy, you have the crucially important role of using your software development and mentorship experience to ensure that students transform themselves into software engineers. This is a 100% remote position. This position reports to the Director of Instruction.
- Confirm that students understand the technical content of the curriculum
- Provide supplementary explanations to students about ideas and techniques found in the curriculum
- Occasionally provide the answers during Q&A sessions for the cohort’s class
- Meet weekly with instructors and TAs to reconcile the progress of students’ learning journeys
- Suggest secondary resources to enhance student comprehension
- Provide qualitative feedback about students interactions with the curriculum content as part of the Curriculum Design Lifecycle
- Create new content for internal and external training
- Implement features in the learning management system
- Facilitate staff improvements through internal training
Experience and Qualifications
- Three years of hands-on software development experience creating and maintaining software in production
- One year of software development experience at a software company or two years of software development experience at a non-software company (within the last five years)
- One year of teaching adult learners or one year of verifiable success as a people manager
- Demonstrable competence of at least one of the following languages and associated frameworks: Ruby with Ruby on Rails, Python with Flask and SQL Alchemy, Java with Spring and JPA, C# with ASP.NET MVCand EF
- Demonstrably excellent writing and oral communication skills
- Demonstrable capacity to judiciously handle interpersonal relationships with empathy
Nice To Have
- Demonstrable knowledge of devops tools such as Docker, Kubernetes, or Terraform
- Demonstrable knowledge of using microservice-based architecture
- Demonstrable knowledge of functional patterns and principles
- Take responsibility for student success:. Everyone works together to enable student success.
- Follow the numbers. Decisions should be backed by data.
- Embrace a growth mindset. View challenges and failures as opportunities to improve.
- Start with why. See the big picture and question the status quo. If there’s a better way of doing things we should investigate it.
- Create an inclusive environment. We work together to promote empathy and respect amongst all students and staff.
- Build with urgency. Build like careers depend on it.
- Competitive salary
- Flexible paid time off
- Employer-sponsored health insurance plans with 100% support for premiums
- Generous paid family leave program
- The opportunity to work with driven and talented colleagues committed to lifelong learning
App Academy is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. We believe strongly that technology companies benefit from diversity and encourage applicants from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.