We are looking for a Senior Engineer with Data and Backend experience to join our Spotify for Artists team. You will build data pipelines that make sense of Spotify’s vast data, the backend systems that power our application, scale highly distributed systems, and continuously improve our engineering practices. Above all, your work will impact the way the world experiences music! Join us and you’ll tackle technical challenges to help artists build a meaningful career on their own terms. At Spotify, we want to give a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art. We are reimagining both how people listen to music, and how creators connect with their audience. Spotify for Artists is a crucial part of that goal, giving artists and their teams the insights and tools they need to be successful. We’re building stats, insights, and guidance features to help artists and labels understand who their audience is, how to grow it, and how to engage with their fans. We are making Spotify for Artists the go-to destination for growing artists and labels. To power those stats and insights, we collaborate closely with Product, Design and User Research, to ensure that our stats and insights are valuable and user friendly. Good communication and collaboration skills are essential. We focus on scalability, robustness and quality so that we can crunch and serve data generated by the hundred of millions of users on Spotify, to the millions of Creators that use Spotify for Artists.
What you’ll do
- Be a technical leader within the team you work with and within Spotify in general.
- Coordinate technical projects across teams within Spotify.
- Build large-scale batch and real-time data pipelines with data processing frameworks like Scio, Storm, Spark, and the Google Cloud Platform.
- Architect, design, develop, deploy, and operate Java services that serve millions of users in a DevOps manner.
- Facilitate collaboration with Engineers, Product Managers, and Designers to tackle exciting and challenging problems for delivering various media worldwide.
- Be a valued member of an autonomous, cross-functional agile team.
- Mentor and develop team members. Help craft and promote sound engineering practices, like continuous delivery and automated testing within the team
Who you are
- Have 5+ years of professional experience working in a product-driven environment.
- Know how to write distributed data pipelines in Java/Scala and high-volume services in Java.
- Experience with one or more higher-level data processing frameworks such as Apache Beam or Apache Spark
- Have a deep understanding of system design, data structures, and algorithms.
- You care about quality and you know what it means to ship high-quality code.
- Worked in a team with both Data Engineers and Data Scientists
- Proficient in SQL based databases, ideally with familiarity of cloud-based data warehousing solutions such as BigQuery
- Knowledgeable about data modeling, data access, and data storage techniques.
- Care about making your team the best version of itself through mentorship and constructive accountability.
Where you’ll be
- We are a distributed workforce enabling our band members to find a work mode best for them!
- Where in the world? For this role, it can be within the Americas region in which we have a work location.
- Prefer an office to work from home instead? Not a problem! We have plenty of options for your working preferences. Find more information about about our Work From Anywhere options here.
- Working hours? We operate within the Eastern Standard time zone for collaboration.
You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be forward-thinking! So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens. Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the chance to enjoy and be passionate about these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 345 million users.