Mediavine is seeking a Senior PHP Engineer to join our Publisher Apps team. The primary mission for this team member will be the maintenance and growth of our publisher “Control Panel,” the lynchpin of our ad operations on thousands of independent sites. This application is implemented as a complex WordPress plugin to reach the vast majority of all our publishers and give them fine-tuned control over the ad implementations on their site.
Mediavine is a fast-growing advertising management company representing over 7500 websites in the food, lifestyle, DIY, and entertainment space. Founded by content creators, for content creators, Mediavine is a Top 20 Comscore property, exclusively reaching over 125 million monthly unique visitors. With best-in-class technology and a commitment to traffic quality and brand safety, we ensure optimal performance for our creators.
Mission & Culture
We help content creators build sustainable businesses. From educational tools and cutting-edge plugins to ad technology that maximizes earnings without slowing down your site, our motivation is ensuring your brand and business grow in every respect.
We are striving to build an inclusive and diverse team of highly talented individuals that reflects the industries we serve and the world we live in. We are committed to creating a culture where everyone feels welcomed. We are looking for individuals that will challenge us to continuously evolve and make Mediavine the employer of choice for people of all backgrounds. We strongly encourage minorities and individuals from underrepresented groups in technology to apply for this position.
Diversity and inclusion aren’t platitudes to us; we take them seriously. Have a look at our team and read through our blog posts to learn more about our values and to discover if Mediavine is the place for you!
Position Title & Overview:
We’re looking for someone to methodically improve and build upon a critical piece of our publisher experience, the Mediavine Control Panel. The vast majority of nearly 8,000 Mediavine publishers runs this WordPress plugin and their livelihood depends on it working flawlessly. As part of the PubApps team, you’ll be working with other developers building software that helps our publishers manage and monitor their ad content.
You will be working in a mature code base that has some challenges, chief among them sparse testing coverage and uneven architecture — the result of many ad hoc changes over the years. Ideal candidates will have both an intrinsic desire to improve the code and a pragmatic approach to accomplishing this while continuing to ship. We value consistency and sustainable effort, not sacrificing stability or our health to check a box.
- Contribute to defining and implementing architectural standards for the design and deployment of our Mediavine Control Panel product in collaboration with developers across our other WordPress-based products.
- Meet with project stakeholders, discuss scope, requirements, design, schedules and issues.
- Participate in code reviews with other team members.
- Work with our Product and QA teams to make sure that our products meet requirements by clarifying goals and options.
- Proactively communicate challenges, considerations, and priorities with team members and stakeholders.
- Bug fixes that have been prioritized by the Product and QA teams.
- Identify engineering priorities related to our product and processes, and help the team complete work on previously identified priorities.
- Assist with product release processes.
- Assist our dedicated Support Engineers in identifying the causes of select customer issues related to our products.
- Write testable code, identify how automated test coverage can be improved, assist QA in adding end-to-end (E2E) tests, and respond to bugs with increased test coverage whenever possible.
- Must currently live in the United States.
- 5+ years of experience programming and leading development of web applications
- Excellent English-language communication skills, especially in text (we primarily communicate over Slack and Google Meet)
- Strong understanding of modern PHP design patterns
- Experience building web applications and/or plugins
- Version control experience (we use git)
- Strong understanding of HTTP, DNS, and a generic web stack
- Strong debugging skills in a web context
- Success in a remote work environment
- Developing plugins or themes for WordPress (or another plugin-based PHP framework)
- Managing SaaS
- Managing PHP version compatibility
- Writing tests with PHPUnit
- Team-based workflows (we use Scrum, code reviews, and trunk-based development)
- React and/or TypeScript (currently used minimally in the product — you’ll have help with this as needed)
- Supporting long-lived PHP projects and mapping iterative architectural transitions
- Collaborating with a QA team
- Releasing open source software
- Remote work environment.
- Travel opportunities (remember those!?)
- Comprehensive benefits including 401k, Health, Dental, and Vision insurance.
- Learning allowance.
- Generous Vacation/Time off policies.
- Additional side benefits such as home-office upgrades, tuition reimbursement, paid gym memberships and wellness retreats, upgraded flights, cool swag and more.
- Company match charitable donations.
- Salary: $110,000 – $115,000