We didn’t create Bold Penguin because commercial insurance is broken. It isn’t. But as the world has gotten more connected and digitized, commercial insurance lags behind – creating a fragmented landscape where businesses, agents, and insurance companies struggle to interact in a smooth and easy way. That’s why we’ve built a highly efficient exchange that cuts the friction out of commercial insurance by connecting everyone to the right quote in record time.
Powering the world of insurance is no small feat, so we’ve brought on a team that’s not only incredibly talented but also passionate about our potential to upgrade the entire industry. As more and more companies big and small depend on our technology to operate in the commercial insurance space, we’ll need the best talent all around to support our growth. That’s why we’re looking at you (yes, you!) to make a bold move and join our adventure.
Sr. Software Engineer Scope & Qualifications:
- In your role as a senior software engineer, you will be an expert in modern-day application development.
- You will have familiarity with the practices of high-performing engineering organizations such as Git-Flow, pull requests, unit testing, cloud architecture & design, and SCRUM.
- Build and maintain powerful APIs that will be used by agents to quote and bind policies for small business owners.
- Write clean, well-tested code and automated unit tests using Ruby / Ruby on Rails.
- Participate in agile ceremonies such as iteration planning, retrospective, and daily standups.
- Work with product managers, designers, site-reliability engineers, and customers to build powerful, impactful products.
- Participate in the full lifecycle of the software development life cycle from ideation to delivery.
- Create more senior engineers by mentoring other engineers in areas such as unit testing, continuous integration, DRY/SOLID principles, and SDLC.
- 8+ years of professional experience with at least 5 years of Ruby on Rails
- Previous working experience in high-growth technology companies and/or startups
- Understanding of scrum, unit testing, continuous integration, continuous delivery, and DevOps
- Knowledge of microservice architectures and RESTful APIs, especially in Ruby on Rails
- We have daily standups starting around 910 AM EST (Monday – Friday) along with company-wide meetings on Monday and on Thursday at 830 AM EST.
- 2-4 years + of working remote, full time, and/or with full time co-located teams across different time zones.
- Full-stack expertise in multiple tiers of modern web applications (e.g. front end, back end, infrastructure, etc.)
- Open-source contributions and/or speaking experience.
- Previous work experience in insurance and/or experience with policy rating very desirable.
- You love Penguins! ;P
TRAVEL TO THE “GLACIER” (please read)
- We are firm proponents of “seeing eye to eye by meeting face to face”. As such, our remote team travels in once a quarter for a full day of collaboration, goal setting, team building, etc. Are you able to make this work? In addition to this we also ask that, if hired, you are able to make the first week onsite for onboarding/training.
- For a healthy colony.
- Our plan covers 50% of your Medical Premiums – Health – HRA, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance, as well as Short & Long Term Disability (Trust us, the benefits are great!)
- Penguins plan for the future.
- 401k Match program, up to 4%!
- Parental Leave
- 16 weeks of parental leave (your kids need you there!)
- Need a vacation?
- Unlimited PTO – Please take a vacation – you need it and we applaud it and in fact we require you take 10 days off!
- Hungry? Thirsty?
- We offer free snacks and drinks, as well as catered lunch every Monday (even to our remote employees…nomb nomb nomb)
- Penguins need to learn!
- We support your professional growth. Certifications, training, memberships, and conferences are actively encouraged—and often covered.
- Penguins are social creatures and love to play!
- We have frequent happy hours, company events, and outings. What kind of company would we be if we didn’t have some fun!?!?
- Penguins give back.
- We offer volunteer opportunities every month! There is no better feeling than giving back =)
- Don’t want to move to Columbus?
- We offer up to 100% remote engineers!
- You must be OK visiting the office for a day or two every quarter – we are all about that camaraderie!