Senior Software Engineer
UK (remote or office-based) or remote up to UTC +/- 2
Who are we
Our mission is to empower every organization to create value through deep understanding of their customers. We have clear guiding principles and company values to keep us aligned on our journey and we now need creative and empowered individuals to help us execute on our mission.
Our values include key ideas around inclusivity, transparency and growth – we want to build a conscientious company helping each other and our customers achieve brilliant things.
The open source technology at Snowplow empowers organizations to differentiate with data. Running on AWS and GCP data technologies, it is the platform for teams who want to serve complex data use cases in an increasingly privacy and security conscious world.
We recently closed our Series A2 fundraise with Atlantic Bridge and MMC Ventures and Gartner has recognised us as a cool vendor in Marketing and Data Analytics 2020, which we think is, you guessed it, pretty cool.
At Snowplow, our ability to integrate with a wide range of technologies is vital to ensure our users can understand their customers’ behaviour, no matter how their users are interacting with their software.
More specifically, this role is to work in our team responsible for creating the technology that serves data use cases. This includes client libraries (web, mobile, server-side), testing tools (Snowplow Micro), data models, data model tooling and relays to destinations.
You will be joining a wider team of 20+ remote engineers who work closely with our product, support and customer teams. There is a huge opportunity to learn more about all aspects of engineering and data, from code to customers.
What you’ll be doing
- Building developer friendly experiences. You’ll have the freedom to explore and design developer friendly APIs, as well as solve complex problems in collecting behavioural data from browsers, apps and services in our open-source SDKs.
- Working with diverse technologies. You’ll get the opportunity to work across a range of platforms (AWS, GCP, Web, Mobile, and beyond) and languages (TypeScript, Obj-C, Java, Go, Python, PHP, Terraform, and others).
- Thinking about data cases. We’re building real time stream relay destinations (Kafka), and continuing to improve our data model tooling and data models. We’ve got our own modelling technology and integrations with important partners like dbt and dataform.
- Automation and Testing. Continue to improve our automation and testing experiences, extend our existing Github Actions CI/CD processes to make it easier to work and contribute to our repositories.
- Open Source. As one of Snowplow’s open source maintainers, you’ll get to manage open source projects, plan and communicate our upcoming releases, engage with our users via slick documentation, create easy to understand READMEs and discuss problems with users through our forums.
- Empowered. Working in a productive, empowered team. Everyone says this, but we’re really doing it. Come talk to us about how.
We’d love to hear from you if
- Diverse Experience. You have experience working in a variety of languages, ideally including web, mobile and server side experience, although experience in all 3 is not essential.
- You care about developer experiences. You like the idea of designing libraries with easy to use APIs that are made available as open source projects and interacting with the developer community who use them.
- Leadership. You have experience leading engineers towards a shared goal.
- You enjoy working remotely. Our remote team depends on expert collaborators to work effectively. You’ll be a great communicator and enjoy working closely with the team.
- Experience working with data stacks. Previous experience in data is a plus, but most importantly you have an interest in data and how it empowers companies to make better decisions.
- Self motivated. You don’t wait to be told what to do. You can understand a problem, drive toward a solution and recognise when you need support or more direction.
- Pragmatic. We can’t do everything today. You’ll be pragmatic in your approach to software delivery and balance our speed of learning with our commitment to providing a reliable and trusted service to customers.
What you get in return for being awesome:
- A competitive package, including share options
- 25 days of holiday a year (plus public holidays)
- Freedom to work from wherever suits you best
- Cycle to work scheme if UK-based
- Two fantastic company Away Weeks in a different European city each year (or when this isn’t possible, we have “Stay Away Weeks”)
- Mental health support including therapy sessions
- Work alongside a supportive and talented team with the opportunity to work on cutting edge technology and challenging problems
- Grow and develop in a fast-moving, collaborative organisation
- MacBook and home office equipment
- Enjoy fun events organised by our Cultural Work Committee
- Convenient location in central London for those who want to work there / when you come to visit
- Continuous supply of Pact coffee and healthy snacks in the office when you’re here!
Snowplow is dedicated to building and supporting a brilliant, diverse and hugely inclusive team. We don’t discriminate against gender, race, religion or belief, disability, age, marital status or sexual orientation. Whatever your background may be, we welcome anyone with talent, drive and emotional intelligence.