The Infectious Disease program’s goal is to help cure, manage or prevent infectious diseases which still represents 20% of human deaths worldwide. Researchers and clinicians need to understand what the disease is and how it is spreading in their community.
The IDseq application uses modern state-of-the-art pipelines and visualizations to enable identification of virus and bacterias where more targeted tests would fail. Our computationally intensive pipelines align genomic samples against large NCBI databases to identify all relevant organisms in the sample. Our web app focuses on pinpointing the most relevant pathogenic organisms and providing highly interactive visualizations that accelerate time to result and can be accessed by both expert and non-expert savvy users. IDseq is used by researchers all over the world, and has been used to identify full SARS-CoV-2 genomes, identify outbreaks and accelerate research in countries with limited access to cloud resources.
We are currently looking for an experienced engineer to help us build the next generation of our pipelines.
- Design and build scalable, reliable and maintainable systems to process, store and access IDseq’s genomic data.
- Collaborate with computational biologists to improve performance and reliability of our genomic pipelines.
- Lead and facilitate discussions of design and implementation of software towards decisions, influencing a multidisciplinary group of stakeholders (design, UXR, product and computational biology).
- Mentor and coach junior engineers on best practices for performant and reliable system design.
- Collaborate closely with other engineers as part of a scrum team to deliver incremental value for scientists working at the cutting edge of an emerging field.
- Have the opportunity to learn the science behind the tech. Opportunity to interact with a few key users and field experts to learn about their requirements and the impact of your work.
- 5+ years of relevant software experience with full-stack web development or backend technologies..
- Strong fundamentals in data structures, algorithms, and object oriented programming principles.
- Proficiency in high-level scripting languages (preferably Python).
- Experience with cloud frameworks (preferably AWS).
- Experience with designing and implementing data or computational biology pipelines is a plus.
- Experience working in a multidisciplinary environment (engineering, product, UX).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A passion for learning about new fields and technologies.