Redefine embedded Linux and drive the future of secure appliances with our fully-containerized Ubuntu Core. This is an opportunity for a senior software engineer passionate about open source software, Linux, security and the developer experience. This challenging role demands a high degree of technical skill with low-level operating system, kernel and device firmware.
Ubuntu Core is the next generation secure embedded Linux operating system. Just as we are proud to make Ubuntu Desktop the simplest, most secure platform for desktop Linux, our mission with Ubuntu Core is to allow everyone to build robust IoT, industrial and consumer devices on a wide range of hardware, from RaspberryPi to large X86 servers. Ubuntu Core redefines the operating system experience by containerizing the OS, the kernel and all applications into a set of snaps, ensuring reliability and security through modern kernel capabilities driven by the snap system.
Ubuntu Core also defines a reliable and secure set of device recovery mechanisms that enable device manufacturers to simplify and standardise the field operations for fleets of heterogenous appliances.
As an Ubuntu Core team member, youll be designing and implementing software that runs on various CPU architectures, such as ARM, RISC-V and X86. You will work on boot mechanisms, bootloaders, storage partition layout, device trees, kernel, systemd init and services and userspace applications to manage hardware via RESTful APIs.
Build a rewarding, meaningful career working with the best and brightest people in technology at Canonical, a growing international software company.
What youll do
- Collaborate proactively with a distributed team
- Write high quality code with unit tests to create new features
- Debug issues and produce high quality fixes
- Review code produced by other engineers
- Discuss ideas and collaborate on finding good solutions
- Work from home with global travel 2 to 4 times a year for internal and external events
- Integrate diverse bootloaders and maintain gadget snaps
- Develop system daemons with REST APIs in Golang
Who you are
- You love technology and working with brilliant people
- You are curious, flexible, articulate, and accountable
- You value soft skills and are passionate, enterprising, thoughtful, and self-motivated
- You have a Bachelors or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree
- You have experience with Golang, C, and Shell
- You have a solid understanding of Linux and a modern GNU/Linux distribution, Debian or Ubuntu preferred
- You have experience or interest in low-level system and security facilities such as:
- Bootloaders in ARM and X86, such as piboot, uboot, grub-uefi
- Systemd and units, udev, initrd, graphics
- OS level firmware daemons and CLI applications
- Linux security implementations – TPM, FDE, LUKS, HSM, etc.
- You have experience with API design and development – REST/gRPC or similar
Canonical is proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We truly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better platform for our users and customers. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of the world of Ubuntu.