Note: Googles hybrid workplace includes remote and in-office roles. By applying to this position you will have an opportunity to share your preferred working location from the following:
In-office locations: Mountain View, CA, USA.
Remote location(s): United States.
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science or a Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 8 years of experience in software development and data structures/algorithms, and distributed systems/backend infrastructure/Cloud/open source technologies.
- 5 years of experience testing, and launching software products.
- 3 years of experience with software design and architecture.
- Master’s degree or PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or a related technical field.
- 5 years of experience building and developing large-scale infrastructure, distributed systems or networks, and/or experience with compute technologies, storage, and/or hardware architecture.
- 3 years of experience in a technical leadership role leading project teams and setting technical direction.
- 3 years of experience working in a complex, matrixed organization involving cross-functional, and/or cross-business projects.
- Experience driving cross-functional projects with many different stakeholders (internal and external).
About the job
Google’s software engineers develop the next-generation technologies that change how billions of users connect, explore, and interact with information and one another. Our products need to handle information at massive scale, and extend well beyond web search. We’re looking for engineers who bring fresh ideas from all areas, including information retrieval, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking and data storage, security, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, UI design and mobile; the list goes on and is growing every day. As a software engineer, you will work on a specific project critical to Googles needs with opportunities to switch teams and projects as you and our fast-paced business grow and evolve. We need our engineers to be versatile, display leadership qualities and be enthusiastic to take on new problems across the full-stack as we continue to push technology forward.
Our mission is to provide highly available, stable, and scalable Chrome Fleet infrastructure services and automation software, enabling Google and its partners to easily develop, validate, manufacture, and release Chrome Browser and OS hardware and software.
You will serve as a Staff Software Engineer, Technical Lead for the Chrome Fleet Software organization. In this role, you will be responsible for design and development of infrastructure services to enable faster shipping of Chrome OS and Chrome Browser releases across various platforms.
Google is and always will be an engineering company. We hire people with a broad set of technical skills who are ready to take on some of technology’s greatest challenges and make an impact on millions, if not billions, of users. At Google, engineers not only revolutionize search, they routinely work on massive scalability and storage solutions, large-scale applications and entirely new platforms for developers around the world. From Google Ads to Chrome, Android to YouTube, Social to Local, Google engineers are changing the world one technological achievement after another.
(Colorado only*) Minimum salary of $178,000
+ bonus + equity + benefits.
*Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20) of the minimum salary compensation for this role when being hired into our offices in Colorado.
- Define technical roadmap and architecture for Chrome Fleet Infrastructure Services to scale Chrome Browser and the Chrome OS ecosystem.
- Design and implement infrastructure services and automation tools.
- Provide technical expertise throughout the product lifecycle including design, implementation, and delivery.
- Provide mentorship to peers.
- Partner and collaborate with related engineering teams (internal and external), product management, and program management to launch high-quality solutions in a timely manner.
Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also Google’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing our Accommodations for Applicants form.