Headquarters: Kitchener, ON
Who We Are
In a world where political polarization and media distrust are at an all-time high, Ground News offers people a better way to stay informed and open-minded. Our mobile app, web app, and browser extension are home to a community of mindful newsreaders who use our news comparison platform to easily see every side of a story and engage with news beyond their filter bubble.
Unlike most news companies, our audience and our values do not align with any specific political ideology. Unlike most tech platforms, we don’t use manipulative algorithms to keep users on our platform to sell more ads.
We are supported by our readers who pay for a subscription to build a more nuanced understanding of the news, the world, and themselves.
About the Role
We are looking for someone who is motivated to use their adept interpersonal and technical skills to support Ground News customers in an effective and meaningful way. Unlike other support roles, joining Ground News’ customer support team is not about the speed of responses, but about thoroughness, accuracy, and thoughtfulness. The ideal candidate will exercise a high degree of personal accountability, taking pride in what they do, and be willing to go the extra mile to address customer complaints, concerns, and questions.
We are looking for someone who is detail-oriented, easily adaptable, and has demonstrated success in similar roles in the B2C SaaS industry. Prior experience working in remote environments is an asset.
You will report directly to the Head of Customer Support. The ideal candidate will be available on evenings and weekends EST.
What You’ll Do
- Communicate: Directly communicate with Ground News readers to answer questions regarding all of the Ground News product suite (web, mobile app, extension, newsletters) in a thorough, thoughtful, and brand-aligned manner. Often, this includes remaining impartial as readers from all walks of life write in with concerns that reach beyond the product and may touch on larger political and ideological debates.
- Prioritize between multiple feedback channels: Remain readily available throughout work hours to respond promptly and accurately to inquiries via several feedback channels including phone calls, App/Play Store and other product review channels, social media, and email.
- Collect and share feedback: Collect and record actionable feedback from each feedback channel, to be shared with the Head of Customer Support. Help improve the product by communicating time-sensitive feedback to the right departments, ensuring prompt updates that help resolve bugs. Troubleshoot to investigate reports of technical issues and provide clear solutions to customers, and escalate reports directly to the dev team when necessary.
- Become a product expert: Develop expert knowledge on how all of the Ground News products work so that you can accurately resolve technical issues, address customer questions and concerns, follow up with product-based solutions, and provide readers with relevant, personalized information about the Ground News suite of apps, newsletters, and media literacy tools.
What You’ll Need
- A minimum of 3+ years of experience in a customer support or customer service role (preferably in B2C SaaS)
- A non-partisan approach to news and current events and ideally a basic understanding of the US political system
- Exceptional English communication skills and the ability to leave your personal biases at the door when communicating with individuals from all walks of life
- The ability to operate consistently and reliably in a 100% remote environment, including the ability to organize one’s own virtual workspace to ensure that work is completed within work hours
Bonus Points if You Have
- A deep curiosity and interest in the political system, and the relationship between tech and media
- A background in social sciences: philosophy, political science, psychology, sociology or similar
- Experience working in media (preferably news)
- Experience working in politics or for a political advocacy group
- Experience using any of Ground News’ products (app, website, extension, newsletters)
- Experience using Coda/Notion, Slack, Figma, Front, Trello, Typeform
Why work at Ground?
Co-founded by a former NASA engineer and Bain consultant, a position with Ground News provides an unparalleled learning experience both personally and professionally. At Ground, we prioritize growth: both for our business and team members. You’ll have the freedom to work remotely and play a key role in the development of Ground News products.
This is an opportunity to work with a growing and mighty team that is fighting every day to build a world where cooperative, civil debate is the norm, media is accountable, and critical thought is the baseline of our information consumption. Ground is based in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada, but this role is remote.
If you think Ground News is a good fit for you, send your resume and cover letter.