All positions are fully remote from protected states in the eyes of abortion law (CA, CT, DE, IL, MA, NJ, NM, NY)
Hey Jane is healthcare, on your own terms. As the most-trusted virtual clinic offering telemedicine abortion care, weâre proudly putting the power back in peopleâs hands by providing care thatâs private, safe, supportive, accessible, and convenientâfor less than half the average in-clinic cost of a medication abortion.
Our innovative Complete Care model utilizes technology for unparalleled layers of support: medical, emotional, and social. Not only do eligible patients get FDA-approved medications delivered to their door, but our experienced clinical care team is always just a call or text away and all of our patients have access to our first-of-its-kind peer-to-peer community forum. Since 2021, Hey Jane has helped more than 25,000 patients get the care they need. And this is only the beginning; soon, we will reimagine care for even more common but underserved treatments, with the ultimate goal of becoming the most trusted healthcare company out thereâone that pushes the boundaries of access with convenient, inclusive, and patient-driven care.
As Hey Jane expands to partner with more payers, we look forward to offering our services to more patients with fewer out of pocket costs. As a Billing Specialist, you will play a crucial role in our success by ensuring the smooth and efficient handling of billing operations. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in medical billing and coding, possess excellent analytical skills, and be familiar with the intricacies of insurance claims and reimbursement processes. As a Billing Specialist, you will be responsible for accurately and efficiently processing claims, resolving billing issues, and maintaining compliance with relevant regulations. This position will report to the VP of Product and Operations and will partner with the Clinical Operations team and our 3rd party billing company to ensure our workflows, processes, and claims are in accordance with billing and coding standards.
What you’ll do
- Ensure a smooth, efficient, and timely claim submission process with minimal denials, including identifying gaps in claims
- Follow up on unpaid claims, denials, and appeals to ensure maximum reimbursement
- Investigate and resolve billing discrepancies or coding issues
- Collaborate with internal teams, including clinicians, to provide charting requirements and necessary documentation for claims submission, training team members on billing processes, and creating workflows for billing operations
- Provide support and guidance to patients regarding their insurance coverage, financial assistance, and billing inquiries
- Manage abortion fund invoicing and reimbursements
- Maintain accurate and organized billing records and documentation
- Generate and analyze reports to monitor billing performance and identify areas for improvement
- Support new payor partnerships, working collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders to own billing and coding workflows as we grow
- Maintain knowledge of current billing and coding regulations and updates
- Stay up-to-date with changes in insurance policies, fee schedules, and reimbursement rates
- Assist with other billing-related tasks as needed
Who you are
- 3-5 years experience as a Billing Specialist in a healthcare setting (preferably in a telehealth setting or with OB-GYNs/or Abortion Providers)
- Professional Biller Certification
- In-depth knowledge of the healthcare ecosystem, medical billing procedures, coding systems (such as CPT, ICD-10), and insurance claim processes
- Familiarity with electronic medical record (EMR) and billing systems
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, insurance companies, and internal stakeholders
- Proficient in using Excel or Google Sheets and generally tech-savvy
- Knowledge of HIPAA regulations and patient privacy requirements
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Passion for advancing equitable healthcare, with a deep-rooted ability to empathize with Hey Jane patients
At Hey Jane, we work towards the vision of having equitable healthcare, changing the status quo, and rebuilding the way people experience healthcareâand bring that same vision to our workplace. Weâre an equal opportunity employer committed to building an inclusive environment, and encourage all applicants from every background and life experience.